Mercury Poisoning Symptoms

Mercury is among the most toxic heavy metals and has no known roles in the human body.
Amalgam fillings, also known as silver or mercury fillings have been used as a dental restorative material since the early 20th century.
Since then, concerns on human exposure to mercury has prompted The World Health Organisation (WHO) to recommend:
‘Reduce the use of dental amalgam’s worldwide.’ (1)
Many people have mercury fillings and are left with the question of whether to remove them.
The answer isn’t straight forward. Most amalgam fillings have a finite life span, and you do need to be aware of options for safe mercury removal.

SHOULD YOU REPLACE AMALGAM FILLINGS?

Signs your amalgam fillings might need replacing include:

  • Sensitivity to hot or cold
  • A metallic taste
  • Rash or ulcers in the region of the tooth
  • Pain on biting
  • Throbbing or aching at night
  • Mercury poisoning symptoms
  • A dental examination can reveal whether your amalgam fillings should be replaced. Removing amalgam filling can have side effects, but with
  • a Safe-Amalgam Protocol, you can ensure your teeth and body are free from the dangers of mercury poisoning.

WHAT IS DENTAL AMALGAM?

Amalgam is a metal made of a mixture of 50% mercury, 25-30% silver, 15% tin and 8% copper, along with small amounts of other trace metals.

As a material, it is relatively cheap to produce and easy to use due to its strength, which is the main reason it has been used in dental restorations since early in the 19th century.

While more recently there has been a movement away from using amalgam in dentistry, silver fillings are still being placed today in Australia.

IS AMALGAM BAD FOR MY HEALTH?

In Norway, dentists have been banned from using mercury fillings. Other European countries such as Denmark and Sweden are actively ‘phasing down’ amalgam.

There have been concerns raised about the possible side effects resulting from the exposure to amalgam restorations due to the risk of mercury being released into the body. Mercury is widely understood to be extremely toxic to the human body. Mercury can be absorbed through soft tissue (such as in the mouth), or inhaled as mercury vapour.

Amalgam has been banned both for its negative effect on the environment and risk of mercury poisoning.

MERCURY POISONING AND AMALGAM FILLINGS

Environmental exposure to mercury happens to most people. The question is whether you are at risk of overexposure.
NSW Government Health reports dental amalgams as a source of mercury exposure. (2)
A 2016 report from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health found:
“There were somewhat higher mercury levels in urine in the amalgam group, both after five years and seven years.”

However, they could not find differences in systemic health.

So, are you at risk?

Mercury poisoning is the most severe complication of mercury exposure. It is considered a rare condition that can lead to a range of symptoms. It can happen as mercury slowly builds up in your body over a long period of time.

Symptoms can also come on suddenly if you’ve recently been exposed to high amounts of mercury. To prevent mercury poisoning you may be able to spot the signs and symptoms early.

Possible symptoms of mercury poisoning include:

  • Fatigue
  • Depression or anxiety
  • Headaches
  • Coughing
  • Chest pain or burning sensations
  • Breathlessness
  • Lung inflammation
  • Irritability or excitability
  • Lack of concentration
  • Brain fog
  • Memory loss
  • Tingling sensations
  • Loss of sensation in limbs

Minamata disease, also called “mad hatter syndrome” is caused by chronic exposure to different organic and inorganic mercury compounds.

These symptoms are associated with end-stage mercury poisoning. It’s a rare condition, and there may be other side effects of mercury toxicity.

Young children are more sensitive to mercury than adults. Foetal exposure to methyl mercury can occur from a mother’s consumption of contaminated fish and shellfish or leaking amalgam fillings.

Mercury is known to adversely affect the baby’s growing brain and nervous system. Therefore, cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual-spatial skills may be affected in children who were exposed to methyl mercury while in the womb or during infancy.

MERCURY POISONING AND THE BRAIN

One of the first signs of mercury poisoning may be mental health and neural diseases. (3)
The earliest symptoms may be:

  • brain fog
  • headaches
  • concentration problems
  • depression
  • chronic pain
  • insomnia

MERCURY POISONING, HORMONES, AND THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM

The endocrine system is a group of organs that release hormones in the body.
Endocrine system conditions include:

  • High blood pressure
  • Insomnia
  • Mood changes
  • Kidney issues
  • Stress hormones
  • Thyroid hormone imbalance

HYPOTHYROIDISM AND MERCURY POISONING

The thyroid is an endocrine organ that may be affected by mercury.

Hypothyroidism is a condition where low thyroid hormones can disrupt such things as heart rate, body temperature and all aspects of metabolism. Hypothyroidism is most prevalent in older women.

Some symptoms include:

  • fatigue
  • depression
  • cold sensitivity
  • constipation
  • dry skin
  • weight gain

The thyroid uses iodine to produce its hormones T4 and T3. The problem is that mercury in the body could mimic iodine.

If your thyroid is storing mercury in place of iodine, it won’t have enough iodine to produce adequate levels of T4 and T3 hormones, which can cause you to develop hypothyroidism. (6)

Having your doctor test for mercury levels is the only way to know how much mercury is in your body.

HOW DO YOU TEST FOR MERCURY IN THE BODY?

Here are several tests your doctor may use:

Blood test – A blood test indicates whether you’ve been exposed to mercury in the last few days. However, blood levels of certain types of mercury decrease rapidly within three to five days.
Urine test – Over a period of several months, the level of mercury in the urine also decreases.
Hair test – Hair tests can show signs of long-term mercury exposure.

DO DENTAL AMALGAMS RELEASE MERCURY?

Mercury may be released from amalgam fillings over time.

Some studies show the release of mercury from dental amalgam fillings in individuals who used mobile phone. In the presence of heat or magnetic fields, amalgam fillings could release mercury.

“The difference between urinary mercury in the exposed and control group, 72 hrs after MRI (96 h after restoration), was significant (p=0.046). These findings provide further support for the noxious effect of MRI (exposure to a strong magnetic field) and release of mercury from dental amalgam fillings.” (8)